The Minister of Food and Agriculture (MOFA) last Friday presented some authorized fishing nets worth GH Cedi 220,000 to some fishermen.
Making the presentation through the Fisheries Commission, Deputy Minister of Food and Agriculture in charge of fisheries, Mr. Nii Amasah Namoale, said that the beneficiaries fishing nets were seized by the Task Force atApklabanya near Ada Dangbe West District of the Greater Accra Region on July, 5 , 2011.
He said that members of the task force rather burnt the nets on the premise that they (nets) were unauthorized ones which had been banned by government.
According to the deputy minister, the monofilament nets are banned and the authorized nets, are multifilament, which should be used by the fishermen.
Based on the destruction of the nets, nothing was there to prove that seized nets were monofilament as the victims maintained that their nets were multifilament this, therefore, left the MOFA with no option but to give the fishermen new nets to continue to ply their trade.
Nii Namoah, however, cautioned fishermen to desist from using the monofilament nets adding that those who will flout the fishing laws would be arrested and prosecuted.
Mr. Mike Akktsmpong, chairman, Fisheries Commission commended MOFA for its prompt attention in alleviating the plight of the fishermen.
Receiving the items on behalf of his colleagues, the Chief Fisherman of Accra, Manya, Nene Raphael. B. Alimo, said that fishermen would adhere to the ministry’s warning by using only the approved or authorized nets, and also thanked MOFA for coming to their aid.