The Zongo Chiefs at Hohoe have announced a GH¢ 1,000 reward for anyone with information that would lead to the recovery of the regalia stolen from the palace of Togbega Gabusu VI when it was attacked on June 11.
Mr Battutah Ibn Alhassan, spokesman of the Zongo community, announced this at a news conference to express remorse for the negative actions of their youth following the vandalisation of the chief’s palace.
He pleaded that any individual, especially those at Hohoe Zongo, who has the items in his possession or has information on their whereabouts, step forward to assist.
The regalia are crucial artifacts found missing when on that fateful Monday, some errant youth from the Zongo Community attacked the palace after they had found the exhumed body of their local chief Imam by the road at the outskirt of the town, following his burial the previous day.
He was reportedly buried in defiance of a ban on the burial of members of the Zongo Community on Gbi Land.
The traditional authorities of Gbi imposed the ban after some Zongo youth vandalised the Hohoe Government Hospital and attacked some of its staff accusing them that their negligence had led to the death of their colleague, who was sent there to be treated for electrocution.
Reports say he was working in the vicinity of the hospital when the incident happened but staff on duty demanded his National Health Insurance card.
He, however, died before the card was produced.
There were reprisal attacks by some Hohoe citizens which led to casualties and massive destruction to property on both sides.
The town has since been under a curfew amidst heavy security monitoring.
The chiefs and elders of the Gbi land have hinted that the roadmap to peace hinges largely on the return of the regalia.
Mr Alhassan said: “We are on the ground still looking for the regalia and are optimistic to strike a positive chord.”
He said notices had been sent to all mosques in the country and passionately appealed to any Muslim brother who might be in possession of the regalia to return it.